Whitewater kayaking is a great activity for beginners because it is relatively easy to learn and there are many different types of rivers and creeks where you can put on your first trip. However, before you launch yourself into the world of whitewater kayaking, it’s important to choose the right boat.
If you’re interested in paddling rivers and streams, but don’t know where to start, check out our list of the best whitewater kayaks for beginners. These boats are designed for people who are just starting out and aren’t ready for more challenging waters. They’re also generally less expensive than boats that are designed for more experienced paddlers, so you can afford to try different brands and models before you settle on one that’s perfect for you.
Best 5 Whitewater Kayaks For Beginners
There are many different types of whitewater kayaks, so it is important to choose the right one for your abilities and experience. If you are a beginner, we recommend choosing a kayak that is easy to control and has a gentle profile. Here are five beginner-friendly whitewater kayaks:
1. Recreational and Multi-Water Kayak with Selfie Slot
Perception’s lifestyle-inspired recreational kayak features incredible stability, super comfortable seating, and easy-access storage. The Selfie Slot provides a unique way to stage your smartphone and share your best on-water moments.
A two-way adjustable seat allows paddlers to optimize their kayak fit and ensures all-day comfort on the water. Adjustable footpegs accommodate paddlers of multiple sizes and two solo-mount recesses in the dashboard let you customize your kayak.
Feature of Multi-Water Kayak with Selfie Slot:
- Large open cockpit.
- Back-friendly seats with ergonomic support.
- Superior cushioning.
- Steady on-water feel.
- Leaf-proof one-piece construction.
- Bulkhead included for added buoyancy.
- UV, impact and abrasion-resistant.
- Rotational moulding process.
- Wear-proof colours.
- Live it up and enjoy the ride in this lifestyle-inspired recreational kayak.
- Comfortable, adjustable seat with thick, ventilated padding.
- Adjustable footrests accommodate paddlers of multiple sizes.
- Convenient drink holder to keep your favourite beverage within reach.
- Perception Universal Paddle.
- Hi-Fi Life Jacket (PFD).
- Perception Solo Mount for Accessories.
- TrueFit Spray Skirt for JoyRide.
2. Pungo 105 Sit Inside Recreational Kayak
After decades of dominance, the highest-rated and best-selling sit-inside recreational kayak of all time is about to be born again. Introducing the all-new 2019 Pungo. Blending celebrated legacy design elements with a re-imagined modern flair, the new Pungo delivers dynamic on-water performance with superior stability, unmatched speed, premium comfort and intelligent outfitting. With graceful performance characteristics, enhanced embellishments and world-class luxury appointments, the 2019 Pungo deliver on its reputation and charts a new course for all sit-inside kayaks to come.
Feature of Pungo 105 Sit Inside Recreational Kayak:
- Great things come in a small package, with this easy-to-manage kayak.
- Best-in-class speed makes the Pungo the easiest to paddle and most efficient kayak in its class.
- The renowned hull offers reassuring stability without sacrificing performance.
- Phase 3 Air Pro seat is fully adjustable and offers ergonomic support for your lower back; The mesh-covered honeycomb-vented foam allows for greater airflow to keep you cool.
- Adjustable foot rests accommodate paddlers of different sizes and thigh pads provide a more comfortable fit.
- Pungo dashboard offers a removable Dry box, 2 cup holders, Slidetrax for accessories and a recess designed for the Wilderness Systems battery to keep electronics charged on the go.
- The rear Orbit hatch with a sealed bulkhead provides ample storage for your gear.
- Boat length: 10′ 6 inchee.
- Boat weight: 47 lbs.
- Max Capacity: 300 lbs.
3. Folding Kayaks for Adults and Youth
We believe everyone deserves to experience the relaxation of a day on the water, surrounded by the wonders of nature, whether boating solo or spending time with those who mean the most. Thanks to Oru Kayak’s keen attention to the smallest details and innovative engineering, boating is now more accessible than ever before.
With our lightweight, foldable kayaks, every lifestyle can include kayaking. No trailer hitch for a boat? Just store your kayak in the trunk of your car. Live in the city, or don’t have a garage? Simply stash your kayak in the closet or under your bed until the next time the wilderness calls. Wherever your next destination is, your Oru Kayak is ready to go the distance.
- Made from custom polypropylene and rust-resistant hardware.
- Folds to the size of a large suitcase and can be stored nearly anywhere.
- Kayak option for any skill level.
- Treated with 10 years of UV protection.
- Rated with a lifetime of 20,000 folds.
4. Attack Pro Inflatable Kayak
Fully upgraded with drop-stitch technology, take on the roughest conditions in the Attack PRO Whitewater Kayak! With a 12-inch rocker, a wide stance, and 9.5-inch tube diameter, this full-time self-bailer is stable, responsive, and made for whitewater. The 3-chamber construction consists of durable PVC Tarpaulin and features adjustable foot pegs, thigh straps, a supportive high-back seat, and hull abrasion rails. Weighing in at only 25 lbs., it’s light enough for longer portages and is a blast on the water!
- Hull Design: Drop-stitch floor, Self-bailing ports, and 12 inche bow/stern rise (rocker) for quick turns.
- Durable: Heavy-duty PVC Tarpaulin construction.
- Stable: 35 inches width provides increased stability.
- Storage: Stern deck-covered cargo bay for storing a dry bag or other gear.
5. Inflatable Sports Kayak
Only minutes between you and the water. Inflate at the water’s edge with the included foot pump. Be out on the water paddling, fishing, and river running in just 6 minutes. Large I-Beam tubes create a durable floor and natural chines that improve the speed and tracking of the Sea Eagle SE330. The Sport Kayaks feature two moulded skegs – just like a surfboard – so you go faster and further with less paddling effort! These skegs are made of an almost indestructible moulded plastic that will not be harmed by hitting rocks or running up. Just 26 lbs.! Don’t let the light weight fool you, it’s a rugged kayak able to hold 2 people or 500 lbs and yet easy enough to be carried by one or two paddlers.
In conclusion, the best whitewater kayaks for recreational paddlers offer a variety of features and designs to fit any price range. From folding kayaks to sit-on-top models, these boats are sure to provide the perfect adventure each time you hit the river. So what are you waiting for? Get out there and explore!